Tuesday, August 19, 2014

CCM Week 3 and Bad Words

Hello

Well, we continue to do about same thing everyday. 

1. The Roommates. We now have some Latinos in our room which is pretty interesting. Elder Ruiz from Peru and Elder Aregulo from Ecuador. Elder Ruiz is a nut. One time he got some gum and started chewing it until someone said muy mal about something else so he spit it out on the ground. When we told him it was okay he picked it up and did the cross movement across his chest and then stuck it back in his mouth. I am pretty sure that his a convert from Catholicism because last night he was pretending to bless us with water like the pope. Elder Ruiz does not like American food. He begged for some Cheezits so we gave him a Cheezit and he took a little nibble and spit it out and asked for water. 

2. Bad Words. We often have to have lessons on what bad words are. Elder Hatch (another north american in our room) let out a large toot and Elder Ruiz (who can speak some english) says "Put a cork in your a**". Her also knows some very profane English songs by heart. Apparently a lot of swear words in the US are not bad down here. For example we asked our sister pregnant teacher what aye currumba meant and she said "d***" apparently neither of those words are negative down here. 

3. Nail Polish. We noticed one of our maestros (guy teacher)  painted his finger nails with clear polish and we asked Hermana Hernedez (the pregnant sassy teacher) if that was normal and apparently it is. It makes you more presentable. So the next day she brought her husbands nail polish and let us paint our nails as a district.

4. Schedule. Tomorrow we are attending the temple in the morning and the next day we are going proselyting for 3 hours and then its P day on Friday (which is only 4 hours long). So I will probably have more stories then. The rest of time we spend in clase or practicing teaching investigators.

5. Spanish. Yep that is coming along. Last Sunday I got the opportunity of being randomly announced to speak. I was able to impress all the Latinos with my impeccable and well rehearsed Spanish.

6. Things I forgot. I am saddened to find that the picture album was not in my suitcase. I also wish I had my scripture notes off my LDS account. By the way, who did end up with all my assets. Any letters take about two weeks to get here. 

7. Food. Continues to be about the same. The two spices here are salt and hot sauce. If there was cook book here it would be how to make your food taste plain in two or less ingredients. Good thing is that bread and pastries are always the best. Meats are always tender and juicy. Any attempt at american food is futile. We had spaghetti which consisted of noodles and hamburger. I do not think the people here know what marinara sauce or any other tomato product besides ketchup is.  Another important distinction is that South American food is not Mexican. I have not seen more any tortillas, re fried beans, or any Mexican Cuisine.  Additionally, there is a feeling of more rawness. Don,t enjoy pulp, well here they don't care to take out the seeds out of orange or fruit juices. Its also not uncommon to find bones in your soup. All the drinks made here have no sugar in them so the lemonade today was puckery.

8. Natalie's Trip, yep that will be fun. Hopefully is more refined that Bogota is. The first time you'll be shocked into the culture is when you are going to through the immigration border control and trying to understand the person asking you questions in heavy accent. Also hopefully they wont want to inspect your bag at customs, Elder Bigelow (the reindeer friend had a bad experience). Try to talk to the people to people in Spain with your Spanish and see what happens.

9. Elder Dansie is from Pleasant Grove Utah. Just graduated from high school 

10. Yes it would be nice to have my notes, especially my scriptural tags if that is possible.  It takes about 2 weeks so you would have to send asap I am not sure how much it costs but it is about 2 dollars to send one form here. I also think I I left family stories open on the computer that I did not print off. Also some photos would be nice. Maybe the airport took my album becuase I did have a fun note saying that it had been searched. Also Natalie, I hope that you dont get stuck in the airport for 9 hours like I did. Make sure your plane takes off on time and that you have a decent layover. Ours was like 30 minutes and our plane landed just when the other one took off. Also never talk to people in Spanish with the tu form. it means you want to form a close relationship. One of the people in my district said it while proletying to a woman and he got a fuuny look.

11. It is funny how the distribution center at the temple has now become like walmart. That is about the most exciting thing and the only oppurtinuty ti purchase stuff.

12. I do not know the next time I will be emailing, it probaly wont be this friday the next pday is tuesday, put there are not enough computers and enough time for all the missionaries so they like to switch it up. Next week when the latinos leave and the new batch comes in I will have a latino companion and we speak solo espanol. We also get to go on a tour of Bogota and people like to buy soccer jurseys at this time. I could get one for justin if he likes there like 12 dollars here.

Chao Spanish word for by

Elder GIlbert

No comments:

Post a Comment